October 09, 2014

Taking care of your hair: top 5 tips


So if you haven't already noticed, I have quite thick, long hair. For the most part, I love it. But it also means that managing my locks takes a bit of work. Luckily, I don't actually do much to my hair and I try to keep it as natural as possible - I hardly straighten or curl my hair, I never tease it, and I've only ever dyed my hair once! I feel that keeping my hair as natural as possible is the reason why I've been lucky enough to have long hair that's also soft. But that doesn't mean I don't need a little help from some hair products. I love experimenting with different shampoos, conditioners and hair oils and treatments as they help to lock in the moisture and maintain a healthy look. 

I recently had a look through Sunsilk's new collection by Teddy Charles, a world-renowned hair stylist who's bringing his expertise from New York to Australia. He's collaborated with Sunsilk to create a few ranges of shampoos and conditioners to suit different hair types.

Since I've used countless Sunsilk hair products in the past, I knew I would enjoy this new range. I decided to go for the Longer and Stronger range, because let's face it, my thick locks need to retain its strength! I've used it several times now and I have to admit, the first thing I noticed about it was the amazing fragrance! Mango and vanilla... yummm. (I mean, who doesn't smell their shampoos in the shower?) It definitely leaves my hair feeling really soft and smooth - no tangles or rough ends.

But having strong hair from root-to-tip requires a little more TLC. So I though I'd share with you guys my top 5 tips for keeping your locks strong and healthy:

1. Trim regularly - don't be anxious about this one! If you want your hair to grow, it's important to get a trim every couple of months to get rid of the damaged ends and help keep your hair looking fresh.

2. Use quality shampoos and conditioners - treating your hair with good quality products will leave it feeling soft and smooth, and reduce tangling. It will also return loss moisture to your hair and keep it looking nice and shiny. I'm loving Sunsilk's Longer and Stronger shampoo and conditioner by Teddy Charles at the moment. It leaves my hair feeling strong from root to tip and tames my thick long locks. Using a leave-in conditioner or hair mask once a month is also a great way to lock in the moisture and reduce breakage.

3. Be gentle when brushing - especially if your hair is wet. It's best to use a wide-toothed comb when you step out of the shower because wet hair is particularly delicate and can snap pretty easily if it's being pulled by a regular brush.

4. Avoid teasing - hairstyles that pull and tug at your hair will cause breakage, and not to mention hair loss! Brushing out a tease is no easy task, and causing that amount of stress on the hair and scalp will leave you reaching for hair treatments every time. So to keep your locks thick and long, save yourself the hassle and avoid teasing.

5. Avoid heat - this can be a hard one, but I'd recommend leaving the dryers, curling wands and straighteners for special occasions. Even then, make sure to use a heat protectant product. Try not to use these hot tools daily as it pulls the moisture out of your hair, leaving it feeling rough and causing hair breakage and split ends.



Hope you guys enjoyed this post!

Have you got any tips for maintaining healthy long hair? I'd love to hear them in the comments!

Be sure to check out the full Teddy Charles for Sunsilk collection for more amazing products.