July 15, 2013

India photo diary - Part 2

Hey guys, I'm back with Part 2! 
If you missed out Part 1, you can check it out here. It covered a bit of Kuala Lumpur, then New Delhi, Punjab and Jaipur/Ajmer.

In this post, I'll be showing you guys the rest of my trip. Starting with the most exciting monument of all - the Taj Mahal! Part 2 will cover the cities of Agra, Varanasi (Ganges River), Bodh Gaya and a little bit of Delhi towards the end. Enjoy!

Agra:
Taj Mahal!! It was a dream come true to be able to see one of the ancient wonders of the world, and it definitely lived up to all the hype! It was absolutely breathtaking. Such an iconic photo :)

My mum and I in front of the Taj.
Details on the walls of the entry.
Details inside the Taj Mahal.
The Yamuna River - located behind the Taj.
One of the 2 mosques located on each side of the Taj.
Sitting on the Taj with some colourful locals :)
From the Taj, looking towards the entrance.
A different view of the Taj Mahal - from a rooftop bar/restaurant. The man in the middle was the kind rickshaw driver who took us to this gem of a place, and the man at the end was the owner.
Agra Fort. It's pretty much the same as the Red Fort in Delhi, and our driver even told us that back hundreds of years ago when it was built, there was also an underground passage built that connected the two forts together! That would be one very long tunnel...

Varanasi:
The banks of the Ganges River.
 On an afternoon boat ride along the 84 Ghats of the Ganges. It was the most peaceful place in India for me. I absolutely loved it here!
 The locals getting ready for their daily Aarti prayer ceremony - a Hinduism ritual of worship to give offerings to the Ganges River. Such an amazing experience to be able to watch it and see all the locals coming together for a common purpose. Definitely a spiritual moment.
Managed to score front row seats! :)
The priests preparing for the Aarti prayer.

Bodh Gaya:
The Mahabodhi Temple.
 The tree where Buddha is believed to have sat under and attained enlightenment.
The view of the Mahabodhi Tree from behind the temple.
 The stones represent the path where Buddha is believed to have walked when meditating.
 A common form of transportation around Bodh Gaya - the horse and carriage!
Meeting some local school students! They were so friendly and sweet :)

Delhi:
India Gate - commemorating the Indian soldiers who fought in WW1 and the Afghan Wars.
Rashtrapati Bhavan - Hindi for President House. It was absolutely massive (320 acres to be exact!)
At Delhi Airport on our way home - how adorable is this statue?!

Well that's it guys! The photo diary of my trip to India is finished. I hope you enjoyed it :)

I love travel as much I love fashion so I had to share some of my experiences with you all on my blog. I think travel really broadens the mind and makes you realise how lucky you are to have all the things you do in life. 

Overall, India was incredible. It's definitely a place you have to visit at least once in your life.

If you guys have any questions about my trip, or if you've travelled to India yourself, I'd love to hear about it in the comments!