February 11, 2013

Chanel SS13 Haute Couture

I'm so excited about this post because not only is Chanel is my absolute favourite luxury fashion brand, but Karl Lagerfeld managed to achieve something quite special with this particular show - especially in the closing. There were gowns after gowns rolling down the runway - and all of them so unique and beautiful. It reminded me of nature a little bit with the runway set in a gorgeous pine forest underneath the Grand Palais glass dome in Paris, as well as all the floral and lace detailing and feathered headpieces the models wore.

But the amazing part for me, was definitely the closing. Lagerfeld sent two female models down the runway, both wearing gorgeous wedding gowns and both holding hands. They also walked alongside a cute 4-year-old dressed as a ring bearer. Was this his way of showing support for legalising gay marriage? There were so many questions circling the closing of the show within the media, but Lagerfeld didn't seem to understand what all the fuss was about, telling The Associated Press after the show "I don't even understand the debate. Since 1904 (in France), the church and state have been separate." I think it might be a way to show his audience, and fashion lovers around the world, that in order to continuously keep your brand relevant, you have to be willing to capture what is happening around you in your designs - no matter how controversial it may be. Either way, I loved his show and I loved his designs. Karl Lagerfeld always manages to inspire and surprise me every year - which is what I look forward to most.

Here's a few snapshots from his Spring 2013 Haute Couture runway collection. Starting off strong, and ending with a bang! Enjoy!

RUNWAY


CLOSE-UPS

THE GRAND FINALE